Sunday 10 November 2013


Ian, my brother.

Ian joined the U.S. army - the MPs. He ended up in Vietnam. I have to admit that when he was there, I did not realize the seriousness of what was going on, what war is like. I was young and involved with my own life, with the typical youthful attitudes and no real knowledge of mortality. I have grown up a bit, and now realize how easy it is to be hurt or killed in civilian life - and how much easier it is to be hurt or killed in a war zone.

Ian died in December, 2011. Living on opposite sides of the continent - Alaska/New Brunswick - for many years meant that we really didn't know each other that well. But Ian was always very connected to family, to Mum and Dad especially. But as his favourite sister (the one and only!) he did keep in touch with me and I him. Bless Kathleen, my sister-in-law, for even more connection.

Chris Robertson, Ian & Kathy's son, my oldest nephew, has also served as a medic in recent conflicts.

So Ian and Chris will also be in my thoughts tomorrow, Remembrance Day, as I stand at the Cenotaph to honour them and Dad for their service to democracy and freedom.



Kathy, Ian's wife, says that Ian told her he was writing to her in this picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment