Saturday 16 November 2013

Christmas in Hemmingford

Christmas was always a fun time, but after Uncle Karl immigrated to Canada, it became even more fun. He would wrap tiny presents in huge boxes, or disguise it in a weird shape if didn't fit in a box. He once gave me a pink lightbulb. I looked through the bit of clear glass near the end and tried to see if the bulb unscrewed from the fitting, trying to see if was a strange container for the real present. Nope. It was a pink light bulb. He laughed and brought out the "other half of the present," which was a short pole lamp that he had made himself. The base was an agitator out of a washing machine, the pole was a shower curtain rod cut down, and the top was a frosted white globe - the only part of the lamp that was really part of a lamp!

There were always so many presents under the tree that they didn't all fit, and spilled out into the living room.






I know this is hard to see, but you get the idea. Mum had some tiny slides - don't know why they are so small, but then I never took slides. I seldom had a camera because it was so expensive to get the photos printed. 


Liz had the job of handing out presents this year, I guess. It was usually the youngest who was given that job, but not always. If you gave out the presents, you got a big pile to open yourself at the end!



Windsong and Jamie playing with their gifts. This pictures are not in chronological order. 



 I love that tuque, Windsong!



Yes, you can see the number of gifts!



David is laughing about something he is holding. Windsong has the cutest slippers on.

I was not here for most Christmases after 1973. That is when I went out west to "spread my wings" and just couldn't afford to get home all the time. It was a lot of fun for me to find these. I missed a lot of the growing up years with Jamie and Windsong.

I will post more when I come across them.


No comments:

Post a Comment